Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Pet Rock

I’ll admit it: I like rock lists in 40k.  I like deathstars in Fantasy.  I suffer under no delusion that this is the most competitive way to play either system.  When I play in actual tournaments I tend to play balanced lists, but my heart belongs to one trick ponies.  Maybe I’m a dick, but my ideal of fun is smashing my unit of TH/SS Terminators into your army and letting them wreck havoc. 

There is just something sublimely fun about saying, “All my cards are on the table and my threats are displayed: deal with it or die.”  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.  Either way I have fun.  I would say I make no apologies about this, but technically this post is an apology.

So how do I build my rock lists?  For the past year and a half I’ve been playing Black Templars because I like re-rolls even more than I like rocks.  But that’s a story for another day.
____________________________
BT Rocks, 2500pts

Emperors Champ, AAC        140
5x Assault Terminators with Lightning Claws in an LRC    483
6x Assault Terminators with Lightning Claws in an LRC    526

[Ok, so we used a bunch of point making some uber killy units.  Now we need support units and Troops]

5x Crusader Squad with CCW, Lascannon, Plasma Gun, in Razorback TL Lascannon    191
5x Crusader Squad with CCW, Lascannon, Plasma Gun, in Razorback TL Lascannon    191
5x Crusader Squad with CCW, Lascannon, Plasma Gun, in Razorback TL Lascannon    191
5x Crusader Squad with CCW, Lascannon, Plasma Gun, in Razorback TL Lascannon    191

[So there are the troops I like for BT these days.  Can other armies do razorspam better?  Ofcourse.  But  the las/plas BT razorsquad isn’t bad for the points at all.  Crusaders such at Rhinospam, and they suck in close combat.  This is it for BT troop choices.]

Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannon sponsons    145
Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannon sponsons    145
Predator Annihilator w/ Lascannon sponsons    145

[In case we didn’t have enough lascannons this will take care of it.  Our lascannon total is now 17.  That’s serious alpha strike potential.  But what we need now is an ability to project melta and kill troops.]

Landspeed HF/MM    75
Landspeed HF/MM    75

[And that’s that. 2,498 points.]
____________________________

So it has some glaring weaknesses.  The army has trouble with Orks more than most other codices, actually.  KFF gives the list fits.  The list isn’t scared of Nobs, but the KFF will keep the transports alive long enough to put Boyz in your back lines and then you lose because the Terminators can’t do all the heavy lifting. 

Despite being a dual rock, it’s relatively well balanced and capitalizes on the ancient codex' strengths.   Now tell me how much it sucks and how much I suck for posting a bad rock list.

1 comment:

  1. You suck!

    I jest.

    I'd have to say this seems to be a 2k list pumped up a bit for 2.5k. Even with 2 LRCs, 2 termie squads and 2 heavy flamers I think you'll really struggle with hordes. Those termies will be seriously swamped by big ork squads and will get pwn'd by bubble-wrapped MCs.

    Despite tri-las preds being a bargain, I prefer to use Auto/Las myself. I'm also not so sure about Las/Plas squads in razors. The heavy is wasted in the transport and you're putting your squads in danger having them outside. Melta or flamer only squads saves some points.

    The points saved (I'd also make the termie squads 5 and 5) should give you enough points to fit in another pair of speeders giving you some much needed melta and flamer love.

    I love to play my BT termies at 1.5k, but I realise a list with them will never be truly balanced.

    ReplyDelete