Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dark Elves in 8th Pt. 3

Welcome back.  I have roughly finished the list I will be taking to 'Ard Boyz Semifinals if I end up going.  I also bought a digital camera last night (remember I have more money than sense) so I did a test picture of my Dreadlord.  While it proves I suck at painting, it was one of the most fun miniatures to paint I can remember.  The sculpt is excellent, except for the somewhat fruity baby dragon sitting in his shoulder.

Please don't tell me all the things I messed up on and how bad I am at painting: I already know.
So onto the list.  I hope to have a battle report from a playtesting game this weekend posted with pictures.  

Dark Elves Version 1.2 3,000 points


DreadLord                        229
-Crimson Death
-Armor of Eternal Servatude
-Other Trickster Shard
-Dragon Bane Gem
-Shield
-Sea Dragon Cloak


[The Dreadlord is now a few points cheaper, but doesn't lose much.  The armor save is only 2+ vs shooting and 3+ in close combat rather than 1+ always, but he has 4+ regeneration and 2+ ward vs. flaming attacks so he is no pushover.]


Supreme Sorceress         320
-Level 4
-Lore of Death
-Pendant of Kaleth
-Sacrificial Dagger


Sorceress                         165
-Level 2
-Lore of Death
-Seal of Ghrond


[I decided that the Lore of Death is the strongest all around Lore besides Life, which I don't have access to.  Death gives you the ability to throw 7 or 8 dice at a Purple Sun to kill hordes, and also the ability to snipe characters, and lastly some fairly useful debuffs.  Basically it gives me play vs Hordes, characters and MSU elites.  I wanted to get the Focus Familiar on the level 2, but it would mean losing the Seal, and I really enjoy having that extra dispell dice.]

20x Repeater Crossbowmen         225
-Musician
-Shields

20x Repeater Crossbowmen         225
-Musician
-Shields

40x Warriors                                   320
-Champ
-Musician
-Standard
-Warbanner
-Shields

[I went from 3 units of 16 xbowmen to 2 units of 20.  I was finding with the smaller units I was running out of real estate to deploy them with clear firing lanes.  This should allow me to put a unit on each flank and kill any lightly armored scout units or fast cavalry.  The warriors are the bunker that the Supreme Sorceress sits in and uses for Dagger dice.  I added a champ in to eat challenges to keep the magic going as long as possible.  I wanted the warbanner to ensure I win combats and hopefully grind them down.  I tend to deploy them behind the Black Guard, so if my Warriors are in combat it usually means my Black Guard got smashed and it is probably over anyway.]

20x Black Guard                        320
-Champ
-Musician
-Standard
-Banner of Murder

20x Black Guard                        340
-Champ
-Musician
-Standard
-Razor Standard

20x Black Guard                         305
-Champ
-Musician
-Standard
-Banner of Eternal Flame

[3 full size units of killy Black Guard.  Not much to explain about why they are so great.  Boatload of S4 I6 armor piercing or flaming attacks with re-rolls to hit, stubborn and immune to psychology.  They are a lot for most units to deal with.]

War Hydra                              175

War Hydra                              175

2x Reaper Bolt Throwers     200

Total:  2,999

[The rares stay unchanged.  I really would like to try a few games with 3 Hydra or 5 Bolt Throwers to see if either angle makes the army click better.  A lot of people are down on the Hydra in 8th because it's easier to kill, but I love how they take fire away from the Black Guard.  Plus now I have 5 'must deal with' offensive threats on the table instead of 3.  Bolt Throwers are great, but let's face it: they can be ignored.  No matter what you think about Hydras, they cannot be ignored on the battlefield.]

Hopefully I'll have a batrep posted Sunday night or Monday morning.  Until then, anyone see any glaring mistakes or things that could be better optimized?

1 comment:

  1. From what I can see, the guy is a far shot better than my ability.

    ReplyDelete