Monday, January 10, 2011

WHFB: Orcs And Goblins Need a New Book?

A couple of months ago I questioned whether or not Orcs and Goblins sucked in 8th Edition.  My answer was a decided 'no' as I feel that they have game in several phases of the game and cheap heroes to take advantage of the move to a percentile army composition system.

Since that time, the rumor machine has churned out the idea that they will be the next book on the horizon for Fantasy.  This may be a bittersweet thing for OnG players.  Right now they have a competitive book that fails to make players happy because it isn't internally balanced.  So despite having a competitive book, they will get a new one.  The Dark Eldar also had an old book that was still competitive but not internally balanced, and it worked out in their favor.  OnG shouldn't rest happy based on that, because as the Beastman book proved, newer doesn't mean better.

Since this Orc and Goblin book is soon to be a relic, I thought I'd post what I believe a competitive list based on what I view their strengths to be.




Black Orc Big Boss
-Crown of Command
-Heavy Armor
-Shield
-126

Black Orc Big Boss
-BSB
-Banner of Eternal Flame
-Heavy Armor
-Shield
-126

Night Goblin Shaman
-Level 2
-Staff of Sneaky Stealing
-135

Night Goblin Shaman
-Level 2
-85

25x Night Goblins
-Bows
-Netters
-Musician
-Standard
-3x Fanatics
-197

20x Night Goblins
-Bows
-Netters
-Musician
-Standard
-3x Fanatics
-182

20x Night Goblins
-Bows
-Netters
-Musician
-Standard
-3x Fanatics
-182

25x Black Orcs
-Musician
-Standard
-Spirit Totem
-Shields
-418

5x Spear Chuckas
-175

3x Rock Lobbers
-210

2x Doom Divers
-160

Total:  1996

Think your 2k army can take that much fire power if this list gets the first turn?  That's a lot of Spears and stone throwers.  The list also has a large, stubborn block of Black Orcs which are quite scary.  3 Fanatic delivery systems.  And pretty much every turn this list should have significantly more dispell dice than the enemy will have power dice. 

Which army would you like me to do next?  Brettonians?  Beastmen?  TK?

6 comments:

  1. I'd be most curious to find out your thoughts on the Bretonnians next. Last summer I was interested in starting a Bretonnian army but had a lot of trouble making an army list that excited me enough to begin collecting them. Even though I moved on from the Bretonnians, I would enjoy seeing what type of list you devise for them. Thanks for sharing your perspective on the Orcs and Goblins army book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see a review on the different lores

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a tactical genius, but glancing at this list, I'd say it's pretty solid. Those warmarchines can take down a stegadon in a single shooting phase, the goblin blocks are just damn annoying and potent with the fanatics and finally the black orcs should give it a good punch. Very well rounded

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam, check out the reviews on 3++ for the different lores. They are so good that writing reviews of my own would be wasteful, it's just better that you check out Kirby's.

    PapaJJ, I'll go after the Brettonians next.

    Alex, its main weakness is shitty offensive magic and lack of scouts or anti-scouts. All in all it's pretty strong, though. It needs playtesting an optimizing, but I think the only thing that jumps right off at me is the lack of a level 4. It can probably win a lot without a L4, but there might be lists it can't beat without one. It wouldn't be hard to get a L4 in there either, just drop the BSB and the second L2. Should get you the L4 goblin wizard and enough points to give the general a ward save of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my experience, large units of Black Orcs are an unnecessarily huge point sink. I'm an O&G player, but I also play Ogres and I've plowed through Black Orcs units that size in one turn.

    Lose that one unit and you lose the game.

    However all that shooting is a LOT to deal face with Ogres LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hope would be that any unit powerful enough to walk through the Black Orcs would be fairly chewed up by war machines before they hit them. But you may definitely be right.

    ReplyDelete