Monday, February 20, 2012

Email In: Dark Elves @ 2,999


mDz writes, “Hi there,

long time mostly-lurker of your site, I find your DE articles really helpful, which is why I thought you might able to assist me with a matter of not-at-all grave importance.  There is a big local tourney coming up in a few months time and I've been wracking my brains as to what to bring.  The problem is the points level - it's 2999 which is really fucking stupid.  At first, I thought about bringing 3 units of Blackguard which, to be honest, is still definitely an option but I just can't make it work, it seems like they will just die to a breeze. I thought about bringing 3 Cauldrons to assist them, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
The other thing I thought about was basically beefing up your 2500pts chariot list with some Cold One Knights, since they would be able to easily keep up and I could bring in quite a lot of them ( is it just me or are they sorta cheapish? ).
What about Hydras? I mean, at 2999 two of them seem like they would die quite easily but at the same time, people are so scared of them, they could draw a lot of firepower from the rest of the army. 
Should I just drop them and bring 4 Reapers instead?

As you can see, I'm in a bit of a rut and would really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

mDz.”



Reply:

2,999 is indeed stupid.  The TO should just run 3,000 points without Grand Army rules.  But that would be simple and easy, but what do I know?

So since you don’t get Grand Army rules, we have to look at what we can best exploit within that framework.  Clearly, 750 points is enough of a Lords allowance to bring two Level 4’s, which I would most definitely do.  One Shadow, the other Metal.  Those would be a given.

At this points level, someone is going to bring a badass wizard in a magic bunker.  I think Shadowblade is worth bringing.  Sure, he will almost certainly get killed, but how valuable is killing Teclis or enemy Slann or Vampire Lord turn one?   Invaluable.  I haven’t played against an opponent where he wouldn’t be useful in a long time, the problem has always been having enough points to make use of him.  I would bring a Cauldron BSB for the rest of the hero points.

Spearmen magic bunker in Core, and the rest in Crossbowmen to fulfill requirments.

Max out Hydra and bring 3 Reapers for Rare.

For offense, two units of Black Guard, 3 chariots, and the rest of your points in a rather beefy unit of Cold One Knights seems good. 

It’s a very “mixed arms” type list, but without Grand Army rules and this amount of points, it’s hard to do otherwise.  I think it gives you the tools to beat anybody, and presents a ton of must deal with threats.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Questions?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a bunch, I completely forgot to mention that named characters are not allowed. That's a hurdle that we're only starting to try and overcome locally. What do you think I should bring instead of him? He does free up quite a lot of points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably bring a fighty hero to protect the characters in your magic bunker, and a level 2 of Shadow. That way you get the entire Shadow Lore.

    ReplyDelete